Sunday, November 17, 2013

Baby Lasso?!

A Product Review: Baby Lasso

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you have heard about an amazing new product for busy parents called the Baby Lasso.  Okay who am I kidding - no one’s heard about it unless you have a lot of spare time like me to read ridiculous stories on the internet (like this one).

Now, when one hears about something called a “baby lasso” it probably brings some interesting images to mind. For me, that image involves my children running amok around our house as I chase them like a crazy woman from the wild west.  Then I whip out my trusty baby lasso, round them up, and ship them off to bed.

Alas, this is not that product.

As a mother of three children, I have changed a lot of diapers in the last five years. Some quick math tells me that number is close to 10,000 diapers (An average of 5 diapers a day x 365 x 5 = 9,125).  So, I have some good authority on the topic of wrestling squirmy toddlers while simultaneously cleaning up some pretty gross stuff.  The Baby Lasso is designed to allow you to be hands free while changing a diaper.  The idea is that you loop/tie your baby’s legs into what appears to be a fabric-like scarf that is draped around your neck.   There are so many directions I could go in being snarky commenting about this must-have baby registry item, but I have chosen to focus on three.

1.  If your baby/toddler is a major squirmer during diaper changes, is it a good idea to tie his/her legs up and hook them to your neck?! If you’re changing the baby on the changing table then that means you have taken your hands off the little jumping bean. My kids are experts at contortionistic acrobatics mid-gross diaper change and so I imagine that they would quickly lift their cute little bums off the table, and using leverage from the lasso, fling themselves off the side... and since they’re tied up to me, they would then be hanging by their feet from my neck.  Well, phew, at least my hands are free now to flip them back up to the table. Come to think of it, that does seem very lasso-like.

2.  Which leads me to my next thought. Now I’m no recall-product expert, but it seems to me like this thing has some great recall potential.  If the Recall Gods (who makes those decisions anyway?!) are going to recall a sweatshirt from Wal-Mart because the zipper might fall off and a baby might choke on it, then something that could potentially lead to a baby swinging from her parents’ necks seems like it might be problematic.

3.  And lastly, did the designer of this product never change a boy’s diaper? I will admit that I have not, but I am very aware of the hazards involved and this just seems like a recipe for disaster.  Enough said.

So, our happy little family will be continuing to change diapers the old fashioned way.  Now, a diaper changing product that could actually change those 10,000 diapers?  That is something I would love to get my hands on.

image from www.babylasso.com

1 comment:

  1. Designer never had projectile poop either. Much worse than the boy issue.....

    ReplyDelete